Biographical Sketch of Andrew Jackson Ruddell's Father, George Harrison Ruddell.
George Harrison Ruddell, is a native of Bourbon county, Kentucky, born the 26th day of December, 1821, his parents being William and Armenas (Phelan) Ruddell. About the year 1829, his parents removed to Sangamon county, Illinois, where his father took charge of Clark's mill. There they remained until 1835, when they decided to make their future home in McDonough county. On arriving in this county, they located on section 6, in what is now Hire township. There Mrs. Ruddell died, in 1838, and the father, in 1840, removed to Iowa, and settled in Van Buren county, where he was an early settler. He there died, in 1871. George H. Ruddell removed to his present location in March, 1864, and is now located on section 17, Tennessee township. He was married on the 1st day of November, 1849, to Mary Dorothy, a native of Washington county, Kentucky, and a daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Sissel) Dorothy. They came to McDonough county in 1834, and settled in Blandinsville township, where they remained about a year, and went to Hancock county, where Mr. Dorothy died, in 1855, and in 1876, Mrs. Dorothy died in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Ruddell have had eight children: William T., married Mary Ellen Riggins, living now in Hancock county; George H., married Susan Badger, now living in Tennessee township; Robert Marion, married Sarah J. Wixon, March 19, 1885, now residing in Tennessee township; Emily, wife of George Towers, now a resident of this township; Mary; Andrew Jackson; Elizabeth and John Wesley. Mr. Ruddle owns 118 acres of land, about 70 acres of which are under cultivation. He enlisted for the Mexican war in August, 1847, in Wiatt B. Stapp's independent company, from Monmouth. They marched to Quincy, where they took a boat, and embarked for New Orleans. From there they sailed to Vera Cruz, where they arrived about November, of that year. They were stationed near Jalapa, in the vicinity of which place they were engaged in guarding supply trains, and in other services for the government. After the successful termination of the war, and the signing of the treaty of peace with Mexico, embarked for home again, returning the same way they had gone down. They were discharged at Alton, on the 26th day of July, 1848, and then returned to Warsaw, where they remained but a short time, and started to their homes. Mr. Ruddell arrived at his home in the latter part of July, and has since been a resident of this township. He has the honor of being one of the few veterans of the Mexican war, now residing in McDonough county.