"Wellington Preaching Point On Allisonville Circuit:
By 1852, Traveling within Indiana was improving when Wellington and Broad Ripple residents established their Methodist class. Roads from Indianapolis were still either dirt in the summer or mud during winters. Farmers would gravel parts and then erect a tollbooth and charge for passage. The railroad would not reach Broad Ripple for another thirty-two years. However, one senior Methodist minister wrote in 1853, "In Indiana we travel now mostly by railroad. Our preachers can not travel their circuits yet in this way, but some of the presiding elders do their districts. The projects now on foot for building roads are so numberous, that no one can tell what will be when our young folks get old. On our roads, we sometimes see sights, and meet with men or angels of marvelous dignity. We plain hoosiers have no conception of wandering celestials once when perchance we see one.'
The Wellington class became part of the Allisonville Circuit. The circuit did not have a parsonage in 1852. The circuit elders considered purchasing a lot in Castleton offered by Bro. Jones for $20, an acre in Allisonville by Bro. Huff on the Winchester State Road for $25, one acre in Allisonville by A.G. RUDDELL for $75 with additional land for $150 on the Allisonville State Road. They were also offered a lot valued at $100 on the Bellefountaine Railroad with vouchers for additional subscriptions for $51. Perhaps the competing lots reflected the desire to have the preacher live in their community. The elders apparently postponed their decision as the parsonage remained unfinished business at their August 7-8, 1852, meeting. Wellington contributed $1.00 to meet the Circuit expenses.
Castleton formed their first church in the decade prior to 1843. Rev. James T. Wright, then a circuit preacher, held meetings for twenty years in his farmhouse, and those of William Orpurd and Milford Vert, and later in a log schoolhouse in Vertland."